Crispy Fried Shrimp and Bacardi Frozen Mojito - Epcot Refreshment Port

From the Disney Food Blog - I really need to remember this place is even there!

Oh and I'd like to request a "Fiend on the Scene" review of this asap. :D

Review: Crispy Fried Shrimp and Bacardi Frozen Mojito at Epcot’s Refreshment Port

Jun 28th, 2012 by AJ.

Today, it’s time to talk about another delicious snack available at that culinary gateway to World Showcase — Epcot’s Refreshment Port!

I told you in the not-so-distant past about my favorite new treat there that’s worthy of the calories, the Spicy Chicken and Cheddar Poppers. (I know, they’re frozen, probably bought in bulk from Sysco or something, but they’re wonderful!)

Well, in the name of research (and with a new, shrimp-loving friend to join me), I decided once more to forego a sit-down meal during a recent visit to Epcot in order to sample a few more items on the Refreshment Port Menu (hidden gem of fried-ness that it is).

Refreshment-Port-Menu-500x293.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version. See overall section for info on menu changes.

After looking over the menu (and NOT succumbing to the temptation of more spicy chicken cheddar poppers…because I’m strong like that), we decided to try the Crispy Fried Shrimp with French

Fries and Cajun Tartar Sauce.

Just as before at this location, we had to wait for a bit to get our food. But since we were surrounded by British teens having the time of their lives (cheerleading competition, maybe?), at least we made some new friends while we waited.

While I didn’t eat too much of this, I did have a taste. The shrimp were piping hot when they emerged, fried perfectly with a good, crunchy breading. The dip reminded me of a tangy remoulade (but I’m not a connoisseur).

Fried-Shrimp-and-French-Fries-600x527.jpg

Crispy Fried Shrimp, French Fries, Cajun Tartar Sauce

And I couldn’t resist trying the Bacardi Frozen Mojito. I’m not usually so much a fan of mojitos (although the frozen rock coconut mojito at the 2011 Food and Wine Festival Caribbean Booth was excellent), but this actually pretty good.

While it was a little sweeter than I would like (a common problem with Disney frozen drinks, but maybe that’s just me) it still had a little tartness with the nice background of rum, and just a hint of mint. “Refreshing” is a good word for this.

Refreshment-Port-Frozen-Bacardi-Mojito1-482x625.jpg

Frozen Bacardi Mojito

Overall, if you’re looking for a grab-and-go, shareable snack in Epcot, the Refreshment Port is a very good stopover. It may also come in handy to know about this spot as we anticipate the closing of the Boulangerie Patisserie for expansion soon.

One important thing to note: as I mentioned above, the Refreshment Port menu tends to change often. I think we’ve been through about 6 menu tweaks and two major changes in the past year or two.

As of May 2012, the Crispy Shrimp is now being served with a side of tostones and a mayo-ketchup. We can only assume this has been done to inch back toward a Latin flair for the menu (previously, the menu has been very Latin-influenced).

Have you visited Epcot’s Refreshment Port lately? What would you like to try from the menu? Leave a comment and let us know!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/28/review-crispy-fried-shrimp-and-bacardi-frozen-mojito-at-epcots-refreshment-port/#more-59717